The Holy Scripture as a guideline for Christian Life has always its firm place in the liturgy and spiritual reading – as well as cultural heritage of humanity it occupies a very important position. Not only for church dignitaries, but also for secular rulers, the bible belonged to the most valuable possessions. Numerous prayer books were made especially for kings and other aristocrats, provided with luxury bindings and book illuminations heightened with gold, from renowned artists.
Hence, this richly illustrated bible edition contains magnificent representatives from unique medieval manuscripts, which visualise text passages of the Old and New Testament. 350, partially gilded miniatures on over 1024 pages bear – beside a high-quality print of the biblical text – testimony to the book art in the Middle Ages. They document the artistic skills, dedication and appreciation by which the “Book of Books” was supplied. This edition contains miniatures from significant public and spiritual European and American libraries, as well as some rare treasures from private collections.
The most famous manuscripts, which are part of this extraordinary edition, belong to:
- The St Albans Psalter from the cathedral’s library of Hildesheim
- The Wenceslas Bible and the Gothic Picture Bible from the Austrian National Library
- The Gospel Book of Strahov from the Strahov monastery in Prague
- A Mirror of Salvation from the Czech National Museum
- The Missal of Stammheim from the Getty Museum in Los Angeles
- The de Lisle Psalter and the Bedford Hours from the British Library
- The Hamilton Bible from the Berlin Museum of Prints and Drawings
- The Psalter of Saint Louis from the Bibliothèque nationale de France
- The Missal of Salzburg from the Bavarian State Library
- The Bible of Federico da Montefeltro and various other bibles, missals and books of hours from the Biblioteca Apostolica Vaticana
The Biblioteca Apostolica Vaticana became actively involved in the making of the edition of this Picture Bible and also put the preface of our “Bible of Mercy” into words. The “Bible of Mercy” was published for the first time in 2016, the year that was announced Extraordinary Jubilee of Mercy by pope Francis.
Even more important than the material value is the spiritual one: the personal blessing of pope Francis accompanies this richly decorated and complete edition of the Holy Scripture. A part of the sales is donated for charitable purposes, namely a children’s hospital in Africa. In the autumn of 2016 we had the pleasure to hand the edition with number 1 personally to pope Francis. Read here more about this encounter.